Mon, 10 Dec 2018
16
New Delhi

India condemns bomb attack in Iran

ANI
06 Dec 2018, 22:55 GMT+10

New Delhi [India], Dec 6 (ANI): India on Thursday strongly condemned the suicide bombing in Iran's Chabahar city where it is building a port for access to Afghanistan and central Asian countries.

External Affairs Ministry spokesman Raveesh Kumar said the perpetrators of the dastardly attack which took place earlier on Thursday should be brought to justice expeditiously.

Two people were killed and 28 injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up near the police headquarters in Chabahar, Iranian news agency IRNA reported.

The blast took place after the police blocked an explosive-laden vehicle from driving into the headquarters, it added.

"India strongly condemns today's despicable attack in Chabahar... There can be no justification for any act of terrorism," Kumar said at a press briefing here.

"We express our condolences to the government, the people of Iran and the families of the victims of this attack. We wish speedy recovery to those injured," he added.

India is building a port in Chabahar which will give it access to Afghanistan and mark a significant step since Pakistan has been denying it access by road to Afghanistan.

The port is being developed as part of a new transportation corridor for land-locked Afghanistan and is expected to be functional by 2019.

India, Afghanistan and Iran in October held their first trilateral meeting to review progress on the Chabahar port project. (ANI)

Sign up for Delhi News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!